Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

bird cage keyring

I have a different project to share today. A keyring . . .
~ Ü ~

Make My Monday is still having their Things with Wings challenge, but with the added twist of acetate!
After much humming and hawing, I decided to go the Tim Holtz way, and play with alcohol inks.


 The cage is cut from acetate and corrugated board. I made two sets and glued them together, so it's quite chunky. I coloured the acetate layer with ginger, currant & sunshine yellow, with drops of copper. On top of that I stamped a swirl using black stazon. Both sides are similar.


 The bird is also cut from acetate, but uncoloured. It is stamped with a text stamp, and a swirl. I originally wanted a yellow bird, and added pearl mixative. Ugh! It turned out looking like mud!
The wings are cut from packaging material, an inner tray from a biscuit pack or something. It's very thin & light, but the corrugation gave it some rigidity. They are tucked in midway between the cage bars.


I wanted some bits & bobs for the top of the cage, so I added small acetate tags. One is stitched with butterfly sequins, and the other has layered flower sequins with a pearl centre. I did my inking on a tile, and the tags were coloured with just blending solution, and whatever it picked off the tile. I wanted some definition, so I ran the side of a marker nib along the edge. It's much safer than using the tip, as you could easily run the tip onto the tag itself

 I had a lot of fun with this, and my younger son is already eyeing it. That'll be a great excuse to make another! LOL! The only snag with this is that it's not waterproof. 
I should try out those shrink plastic sheets one day . . .
~ Ü ~

Other challenges entered:
Stampalot Challenge - whatever you fancy
Hooked on Craft - things with wings
Incy Wincy Designs - anything but a card
Try it on Tuesday - hang it up

 supplies: sizzix dies, alcohol inks & blending solution, stazon, Viva Decor stamp, Tim Holtz stamp

16 comments:

Jacqueline said...

This is amazing - fabulous work and I am so glad you joined in again at Make My Monday. (I don't know about your son wanting this - I think we will all want one!!!) - Jacqueline xx

georgina said...

Whata great idea,love it and thanks for sharing with us here at TioT, luv Georginax

Suzi B said...

What a clever idea... this is fabulous... and yes I want one too..lol
Thank you for joing the Make My Monday Challenge, always nice to see you.
Suzi B x

Suzanne B aka brookfies said...

Hi .... this is gorgeous! I agree with Jacqueline ...us ladies at MMM could share it. Thank you again for playing along with this difficult challenge this week, its always nice to see your very lovely work.

pinky said...

Beautiful project! Thanks for joining us at Sir Stampalot this month.
Pinky

PatR said...

Fantastic creation, very clever idea. Thanks for sharing it with us for the TioT challenge this week. xx

Unknown said...

Gorgeous keyring - it looks great - Love all your techniques too x Thanks for playing along at Try it on Tuesday x

Jackie Thomas said...

OH this is just gorgeous. What a great idea. Thank you for joining us at Hooked on craft.
Hugs Jackie

Aquarius said...

What a lovely project - love it

Mynn xx said...

What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing!

Bee and Dee said...

Thank you for taking part in the challenge on 'Try It On Tuesday. This is a lovely idea, and very different. Hugs Bee on DT for TIOT

NGCARDS said...

A great creation hun! Thanks for joining in with our Text Me Challenge over at Creative Inspirations! xxx

Sally H said...

Just beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Sir S this month and good luck!

Cazro said...

A stunning piece of work, add me to the list who are coverting your keyring. A great idea. Thanks for joining us again at Make My Monday, the ladies who enter these challenges really do Make our Mondays and other days. Caz

Fliss said...

Wow! What an amazing creation Hilda. It looks absolutely stunning and the detail is fabulous. Can see why everyone is after one!
Thanks for joining in with the Make My Monday challenge again and for your continued support which we all appreciate.
Fliss xx

Nikbee said...

A gorgeous keyring. Thank you for joining us at Incy Wincy.
Nikki F x